Newborn has jaundice. Done tests. Is there a chance of coming up this range?

Question
We have new born baby boy age 5-days admitted in hospital for jaundice treatement. Currently he's in range of 16.4 which has all the way come down from 20 with in 2 days ina prapostanate of (18.1, 20, 18.9, 17.6 to 16.4) . Last test we have done today morning 7 AM.
What I want to know is there a chance of coming up this range.?
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
I am sorry to hear about your baby. Before answering your query I like to know few things (1) Is the baby born in full term? (2) How soon the jaundice appeared is it with in 2 to 3 days or earlier? What treatment the baby had for jaundice is it phototherapy only? Has the baby had any blood tests? If the baby had blood tests did you told the results? Is the baby breast fed? please let me know ASAP. Kindest regards SKMukherjee.

Follow-up: Newborn has jaundice. Done tests. Is there a chance of coming up this range? 5 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for the reply. Please find my answers to your questions.
(1) Is the baby born in full term?
Ans: No, baby has born after 38 weekges + 3 days. Reason behind is liquid content in mother womb is more.
(2) How soon the jaundice appeared is it with in 2 to 3 days or earlier?
Ans: We are adviced to take jaundice test after 3-days the baby was born (It is a blood test). From the test we came to know it is 18.1.
What treatment the baby had for jaundice is it phototherapy only?
Ans: Yes, phototherapy only
Has the baby had any blood tests? If the baby had blood tests did you told the results?
Ans: No, other boold tests were done except jaundice.
I think after the birth of baby there were sugar test done which looks to be normal.

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 6 hours later
Thank you. It appears the baby got Physiological jaundice. This is caused by increased
redcell breakdown and immature liver function. It usually starts at the age of 2 to 3 days and begins to come down at the end of the first week and becomes normal at about 10 days. I think the baby will be okay soon.
Kindest regards
Dr. SKMukherjee

Follow-up: Newborn has jaundice. Done tests. Is there a chance of coming up this range? 8 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,
today morning it got to normal rate of 10.2. Thanks for the reply.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 22 hours later
You are welcome.

I am pleased to know the bilirubin level is reducing. So do not worry.

If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Your feedback about this service is appreciated.