New born's blood results stated total bilirubin, SGOT and SGPT to be abnormal. Treatable?

my new born baby boy age: 15 days. some blood test result is
Total bilirubin 16.2 mgms%, Direct 1.7 mgms%, Indirect 14.5 mgms % and
sgot 80 u/l, sgpt 40 u/l please answer to me How to over come this situation?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Let me reassure you that it is so very common that newborns have these values.

It strongly points towards extended physiological jaundice. Please do let me know if the baby was delivered at term or if it was a pre-term delivery. In case, it was a term delivery, then there is absolutely no need to worry.

The values that you have mentioned are commonly seen in the post- natal wards and the treatment involves double surface phototherapy.

Please get the baby reviewed by the pediatrician; it mostly does not require phototherapy too.

Repeat the test after 2 days and look for the improvement in the values to normal.

Be assured that your baby will be fine soon.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: New born's blood results stated total bilirubin, SGOT and SGPT to be abnormal. Treatable? 23 minutes later
baby born after 37.4 weeks. by c-section. is it considered as pre term delivery. and baby wieght is 2.9 kg
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 38 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

Baby born after 37.4 weeks is term delivery. The weight of the baby is also normal.

The values mostly will come back to normal in a few days. As I said earlier, repeat the test after 2 days.

All the best and happy parenting.