New born baby, holding stools, lack of sleep, not constipation, wants to give prune or apple juice, able to pass stools post procedure. Permanent solution ?

Newborn baby, approx. 13 days old is holding her stool. What can I do as this is affecting her behavior and her normal sleep. Is this something that I simply wait out. As for the baby, does she have to just go through it or is there some kind of medicine or treatment that can be done. I have see a pediatrician about this and she said that it was not constipation, she examined my daughter and did a procedure to check the stool and then the baby was able to release the stool then and there and once after at home. Since then though she has not. I have read online about giving a baby like this some prune or XXXXXXX juice but don't know if this is a good idea.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 42 minutes later
I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
I understand you need help with your baby's stool habits.

My advice to you for now: (Try which suits best. Breast milk ranks first)

1. Massage therapy 1 -
Put the baby on its back on a soft surface. Then hold both the feet of the baby in the air. Then slowly circulate both the legs in the air. Follow different kinds of movements for each leg - clockwise for one and anticlockwise for the other, and change the orders. This helps to improve the function of the digestive tract and the baby will have a bowel movement soon.

2. Feed - breast milk / formula ?
Breast milk is the best for preventing constipation. In case you are already then fine, else look for options below.

3. If formula - read manual carefully with regards to the water quantity that should be added. It varies from one to other manufacturer. If formula-feeding, experiment with different formulas to find which one is most intestinal-friendly.
Feed baby smaller amounts of formula more frequently, which gives the intestines a better chance to properly digest the formula. An easier rule of thumb is to feed half as much twice as often. Instead of rice cereal, try barley cereal. Good starter high-fiber foods for constipated infants are pureed pears and prunes. NOT XXXXXXX JUICE.

4. Massage 2 if Massage 1 does not work -
Cyclic gentle palm movements on the tummy.

5. Add one teaspoon of flax oil once a day mixed into baby cereal or baby's bottle.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, do not hesitate to reply.