Never had children. Having rectal pain, swelling in perineum. Missing period. Related?

i'm a 33 year old woman who has never had children. i've been having rectal pain, swelling in the perineum, and i feel like there is something inside my vagina. the feeling of something in my vagina seems to have come on suddenly, almost overnight. i'm 5'8" and 123 pounds. also, my period was ten days late and only lasted three days, not sure if this is related. i've googled the symptoms and it sounds like it might be a rectocele, but i can't understand why i would have this. is it possible that it can reverse itself (if that is what it is)?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

I agree with you that one of the possibilities for your symptoms is of a rectocele. However few other possibilities which need to be ruled out in your case are of constipation, proctitis or inflammation of the lining of the rectum, perianal abscess caused by infection in the gland in the anal canal by the bacteria found in faeces, hemorrhoids, proctalgia fugax and levator ani syndrome.

In rectocele, you may have a soft bulge of tissue in your vagina that may or may not protrude through the vaginal opening and a sense of fullness of rectum.

At this stage, I would suggest you get a pelvic examination done from your gynecologist and a per rectal examination done from a surgeon.

Treatment approaches depend on the severity of the rectocele and may be wait and watch approach initially. Performing exercises called Kegels to strengthen your pelvic muscles, may provide symptom relief.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.