Neuropathy, prediabetic. Abnormal results for ESR and Vitamin B12 levels. Can this be cancer?

i recently seen a neurologist for neuropathy....he sent me for some labs.....tsh was normal, esr was 75, b12levels were 1148 and did not receive results of serum protein imunoelectropherosis back yet....i am a prediabetic and get my a1c and labs done every 3 months.....2 months ago my a1c was 6.3 and everything else was normal.....i am concerned about the 2 abnormal results i have gotten.....could this mean cancer...anxiously awaiting to hear from you...thank you so much
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 45 minutes later
Good for you to write in.
I read your query with diligence.

If you are taking supplements of vitamin B12 or has recently taken supplements and units you are pmmol/L then though this value is high for general population and normal for you. In any case this does not indicate CANCER IN ANY FORM

ESR of 75 by any method is high, if you have anemia or any chronic disease including anemia this value is high but normal for you. In any case this does not indicate CANCER per se IN ANY FORM. Your HBA1C of 6.3 is very good value for a prediabetic it shows that diabetic has not manifested as yet. I fail to understand your worry. Who suggested cancer on basis for these values or what made you suspect cancer?
Cancer is suspected, some examples are
Excessive weight loss more than 10 KG in 6 months
Bleeding (unexplained) from respiratory, Gastro Intestinal Tract or Urinary tract or bleeding through vagina
A superficial ulcer which never heals
A painless lump appears which was not there before.
Markers for cancer are positive like CEA for example

You can clarify these in followup query.

Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD(Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Follow-up: Neuropathy, prediabetic. Abnormal results for ESR and Vitamin B12 levels. Can this be cancer? 5 minutes later
hello....the reason i question cancer being involved is because everything i have researched mentions something about cancer, mostly multiple myeloma & leukemias....i am very concerned about my results but am still waiting for the results of my serum protein imunoelectropheresis to come back, i suppose that is the "tell all" result.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 21 minutes later

The cancer is not diagnosed with help of ESR (which can be raised in most of the cancers) and vitamin B12 (which is such an unstable compound the same person can have values ranging from 60 to 1200 and in between in 15 days with just two doses vitamin supplementation twice a day of vitamin B12 for a week) the vitamin B 12 reflects the equilibrium between serum and liver value(where it is stored and storage varies from person to person).

Now coming to two cancers you read about let us first take Multiple Myeloma: Main Symptoms Bone Pains, Main finding punched out lesions from bone on x-ray are specific. ESR can be high. I can not tell you about vitamin B12 level in that person.
Leukemia: Main diagnostic findings abnormal hematological cell production from bones and extra bone sources like liver and spleen so enlargement of liver and spleen, (Lymph nodes in lymphatic leukemia). Diagnostic test: On peripheral smear of blood immature cells called myeloblasts confirmed by neuropathy in you would not have spent a minute more to suspect multiple myeloma or leukemia in you. You do not read internet to diagnose yourself as suffering from disease. It is a malady (to diagnose disease in self after reading about it in third year medical students, good for doctors if starts spreading in internet users.
Good Luck.

Get Back with correct diagnosis when it is established.

Dr Anil Grover