Neurofibromatosis, abdominal pain, cannot determine which foods cause the problem. What do you suggest?

Hello - my cousin has Neurofibromatosis. He has recurring pain on his upper left side - just under the rib cage.Somtimes radiates into his back. He cannot determine what (if anything) foods might cause the problem. We think it might have something to do with his spleen - based on his symptoms. However, the pain that he feels is not constant. He will go days and weeks with no problem. Then it flares up and he hurts. What do you suggest?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Pain in neurofibromatosis can be due to various causes. However, it is unlikely that the spleen is the source of the pain as splenic enlargement is not usually seen in neurofibromatosis.
The most likely reason is a neurofibroma (tumor of the nerves) in that region which is causing nerve compression. However, other causes like gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, pneumonia which are unrelated to neurofibroma may also be present.
A basic workup is indicated to rule out other causes. Other tests that need to be done are:
•     Chest XRay
•     Ultrasonography of the abdomen
•     A few blood tests

It is unlikely that it is something serious as it has been present for many months. Still, a basic workup is indicated.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no other queries.