Nervous, jittery and edgy feeling, diagnosed essential tremor of neck. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have very nervous, jittery, edgey feelings and I don't want them. I was diagnosed with essential tremors of the neck about 4 years ago. This causes my head to shake in a "no no" position. It is very embarassing and it seems to get worse when I am upset or unusually stressed out. What can I do to feel calmer on the inside? Sometimes it feels like the accelarator is on the floor on the inside of my body!!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Essential tremors are a problem difficult to treat. These are commonly aggravated by stress and anxiety. Avoiding stress is the best way to decrease the symptoms.

To help this problem you can take a few measures-

1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.

I am sure the tremor will resolve over some time as your anxiety state resolves.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your GP.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.