Nerve swelling after mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty. How long will it take to recover?

Question
My mom underwent a Mastoidectomy and Tympanoplasty of the right ear. 4 days after the surgery she started having problem in closure of her right eye and her lower lip tilts a little while talking. We consulted the doctor and the doctor told there is a nerve swelling. He has prescribed steroids and antibiotics. I just wanted to know how long will it take for the recovery and what all should I do to fasten the recovery.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 18 minutes later

After surgery for Mastoidectomy and Tympanoplasty it is usual to experience pain,discomfort,ear discharge,metallic taste in mouth,slight hearing loss,dizziness for 2 to 3 weeks after surgery.These symptoms ae temporary and resolve gradually.

Anything beyond a month as facial weakness,persistent ear discharge,hearing loss,difficulty in closing eyes needs careful monitoring and can be suggestive of post operative complications.

Some measures to ensure proper healing:

1)Avoid blowing nose very hard and sneezing loudly.

2)Avoid exposing the ear to water specially while having head bath.It would be better if someone assists her during hair wash.

3)Avoid flying especially for long duration.

4)Avoid stress and relax.

It may take upto 4 weeks for her to recover completely so in between if she develops any new symptom consider visiting the operating surgeon for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: Nerve swelling after mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty. How long will it take to recover? 33 minutes later
But how about her facial weakness. Can that recover within 4 weeks.
Follow-up: Nerve swelling after mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty. How long will it take to recover? 4 minutes later
I wanted to know why exactly does the problem occur, and if it occurs, how long does it take for the recovery.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing again

Facial weakness can be resolved within a month time if she is during the recovery phase.

As the nerves supplying the ear and facial muscles are same they may be slightly irritated during the surgical process and would heal with time.

So you can consider waiting for few weeks.But as I explained you earlier that if she develops any new symptom or the present symptoms worsen then consider visiting her surgeon for evaluation.

Wishing her Good health!

Follow-up: Nerve swelling after mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty. How long will it take to recover? 21 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your answer.. How should we take care of her eye??

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later

Thanks again.

Regarding the eye avoid unnecessary strain such as watching television for long hours.

Avoid exposure to dust,allergens.
Take rest and close eyes for relaxation after few hours of work.
Avoid work which involves eye straining as sewing,knitting etc.

Take care!