Nerve pain in toe, burning and tingling foot, toes turning purple, swelling. Had ankle reconstruction surgery. Do I need to be concerned?

I had ankle reconstruction surgery 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Just for back ground information, I had the stitches out and the cast put on one week ago and have been given strict no weight bearing orders for six weeks. Here is my question: I have been having increasing nerve pain in my second toe (right next to my big toe) and on the tip of my big toe and sort of in between them. Since the surgery, I have had some minor nerve pain in my foot all the way around such as burning and tingling, but all of that has eased up significantly; however, this this with my second toe is new and bothersome. Also, if I have my foot down lower than my heart for more than a few minutes my toes turn purple and the pain gets a LOT worse. So, I have been sitting with it elevated for pretty much the last 3 weeks entirely. The swelling even happens at night with my foot out flat, and I wake up with my 2nd toe extremely painful and almost stuck. When I wiggle it, it is painful and crackly. It's difficult to explain. As the day goes on, it does get better but it never entirely goes away. Do I need to be concerned about this? My cast feels pretty good, although it is quite snug directly around the ankle itself and the back of my heal. Any swelling at all makes the cast feel like a blood pressure cuff. Please let me know if I should contact my doctor because something is potentially wrong, or if this is normal in the healing process.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Yes, you should contact your doctor at earliest.

The reason for this kind of nerve pain may be due to some form nerve compression may be due to the surgery itself or due to cast applied(which seems to be more likely).

Please do not ignore this and consult your doctors at the earliest.Normally when cast is applied some form of light discomfort is common but to this extent is not normal.

Your toe is turning blue which shows pressure on blood vessels also.

Your doctor after examination may decide to open the cast to have a look. There is nothing to get scared off, but examination by doctor is must.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you speedy recovery.