Nerve damage, pin and needles sensation, numbness in groin and thigh, had hernia operation

General Surgeon
I have some nerve damage after my hernia operation it feels like pins and needles simlar to what if the feet fails asleep. In the groin area to the theigh there is numbness.

is not painful when i go to the bathroom.

Well the numbness is a 2 on the pain scale from 1-10 and 10 is the highest. Sometimes is like a 3.5 this numbness is brought when I had my operation for the ingunial hernia.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 12 minutes later

After going through your report thoroughly, I came to the conclusion that bilateral Laparoscopic Herniorrhaphy has been done followed by numbness & pin and needles prick sensation.

Such complications do occur following operation due to some nerve injury or nerve entrapment.

Generally such sign & symptoms do subside after some time, as nerve regeneration takes place.

Time of recovery can vary from 3-6 month from patient to patient.

As more than one & half year has already lapsed since operation, still there are sign & symptoms of nerve damage like numbness & pin and needle sensation.

In such cases a good Neurologist can be of better help by finding the exact site of damage or entrapment of nerve.

Such complication and side effects are seen in the best of hands & institution.

B-Complex, Methycobalamine and exercise may hasten the recovery process.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. I will be available for follow up queries if any.