Negative for diabetes but feel hungry and urinate frequently. What else could this be?

I got tested for diabetes last week test came back negative but I feel extremely hungry all the time and urinating quite frequently what else could this be?
Also every time I eat something I might feel full for a 20 to 25 minutes and the hungry again. I have exercising since the start of the year. Often times after I finish working out I feel so hungry that's it almost unbearable. When I do eat more I feel weird almost can feel my muscles trembling slightly. My doctor informed me that I needed to lose more weight and these symptoms will go away but Im not buying this statement. Could it be that I have some form of a vitamin/mineral deficiency? What test do I need to request to check for this?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Excessive hunger and increase urination are associated with multiple conditions. I shall try to give you list of few conditions that needs to be ruled out.

I see that you are working out. Some people who exercise a lot can have increased appetite to make up for calories lost. It is especially common in those who have associated diabetes. Hypoglycemic spells leads to increase appetite. I am happy to know that your blood sugars are normal and I hope the tests include fasting / postprandial blood sugars and glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1c).

The other possibilities are hyperacidity, metabolic and endocrine disturbances such as graves disease and hyperthyroidism. In addition emotional and metabolic and certain medication like antidepressants can influence the appetite of individuals.

I would encourage you to consult your physician to rule the aforementioned possibilities. Getting your blood sugars monitored frequently; checking your thyroid hormone profile (T3, T4 and TSH levels) and reviewing your medications (if any) will definitely help. Your physician can streamline and guide you through these tests.

Increased frequency of urination may be associated with metabolic/endocrine disturbances as well as emotional and mental condition. In addition, tests to rule out persisting/chronic renal conditions such as infection, overactive bladder, cystitis, etc. are entailed.

The described symptoms are not linked to nutritional deficiencies, though a balanced nutritious diet along with distressing measures such as transcendental meditation, yoga, good sleep and moderate exercise might be helpful in improving your quality of life.

Hope I have been able to guide you by evaluation your problems. Should you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied with my response and do not have any further queries, do indicate by accepting this answer.

Wish you good health.