Negative HIV test after possible exposure. Are tests accurate? Possible to not have HIV if partner has infection?

I had a hiv 1/0/2 abs test done through labcorp 31 days after possible exposure and I had taken the Oraquick at home hiv test 2 weeks after exposure as well and the tests came back negative. My first question is I have continued to have sex with him since then and I was wondering if my tests are accurate, secondly is it possible that he has hiv and I just haven't gotten it yet? I have asked him and he said he is clean and the last time he was tested was about 8 months ago. I have asked him many pf times to go get tested and he hasn't, so that has been worrying me as well. He thinks that I'm tripping and the I'm losing my mind, but I don't think so.

I've read a lot of information online on how risky the exposure can be if it's anal or if there is blood. So the first 2 times we had sex I had some blood down there, it was unprotected and he ejaculated in me both times. My third question would be wouldn't this type of exposure have made it more likely for me to get hiv considering the risks? The tests that I stated that I had taken above was after these 2 times. Lastly should I still be concerned? I have also tested for all other STD'S and it all came back negative from labcorp.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later

The tests you undertook do not make you 100% safe even if they are negative.
A non-reactive result does not preclude the possibility of exposure to HIV or infection to HIV. An antibody response to a recent exposure may take several months to reach detectable levels.
Since you are continuing the sex with him, there are all the chances for you to have HIV.

Yes it is possible that he is positive but you have not got it.
The risk of becoming infected with HIV for a woman who has vaginal sex with a man who is already infected has been estimated as 0.1 in 100 for each time they have sex. That's the same as 1 in every 1,000 times you have sex. The risk for the woman increases by about five times for anal intercourse.

You should definitely be concerned because these negative tests at 2 weeks or 31 days do not make you 100% safe.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me or any further query.

Best of luck,
Follow-up: Negative HIV test after possible exposure. Are tests accurate? Possible to not have HIV if partner has infection? 31 minutes later
I know it doesn't make me 100% safe, but my doctor told me that the chances are very low that my test will come back positive after testing negative after 4 weeks.
Is that not true? I'm healthy I don't have a compromised immune system.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 34 minutes later

You are absolutely right and definitely the chances are very low but chances technically exist. Moreover, all these tests get negated; if you happen to have unprotected sex after you got the testing done.

As a doctor, I can't say that you are 100% safe. Most significant test to rule out any HIV would be to have a negative western blot test at the end of 3 months.

Wish you good health.