Needle left inside while injecting steroid. Not detected in x-ray and ultrasound. What are the risks?

My mate was injecting steroid in my right butt when he pulled out syringe he said needle got left inside so he took me to emergency they did X-rays no needle appeared then they doctor did ultra sound himself No needle came out they then took me for bigger ultra sound and they guy who did it couldn't find anything but he said he will send it to doctor for a look again . I was asked to come back after 2 weeks to see doctor .am I ok ? Please help
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are in a lot of distress regarding the possibility of the needle being left behind. It's a good thing that you have sought immediate medical attention.

Since needles are metallic objects, X-rays have a good sensitivity in detecting them. Moreover, you have had two ultrasounds (where the needle was specifically searched for) which have also come negative. All these imaging tests should rule out any possibility of the needle being left behind. So, I don't think you should be worrying about it. Please relax and go back for the review appointment as advised.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist