Need to clear throat after crunchy food, Take acid reflux medicine. Had Endoscopy. Finding?

Gastroenterologist
Question
when I eat usually crunchy food I find that a cough and need to clear my throat.
taking acid reflux meds for 4 months now switched few weeks ago from ppi to blocker med.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

In image one if u see carefully there is some reddish tongue like projections which appears to be oedematous that is swollen and inflamed. Friable means mucosa that bleeds on touch of even the endoscope

Believe me this does not appears to be cancerous at all so need to worry

Tertiary esophageal contractions are those which are not associated with propulsive movement.Normally there are oesophageal contractions that leads to propulsion of the acid or food present in the lumen. However it can be confirmed only on Manometry test only.

If tertiary oesophageal contractions are there first of all it should be confirmed with manometry examination and it may be because of few causes which can also be diagnosed on manometry and can be treated accordingly

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Need to clear throat after crunchy food, Take acid reflux medicine. Had Endoscopy. Finding? 1 hour later
They also did several biopsies when they did the endoscopy, what do they look for when they do biopsies. Can you be specific about the biopsies they did in my case?
Also what causes the mucosa in the esophagus to be edematous and friable?
Can this be a cause autoimmune diseases?
Im also going to send you the 2nd page of my report with more pictures. this one shows the ripples of my esophagus, what causes these ripples and what and what can happen in the future to this ripples, do the pose a serious problem in the future?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for feedback. I think these biopsies fro Oesophagus, stomach may show oesphagits and gastritis respectively and duodenal biopsy may be normal

It doesn,t appear to be autoimmune

These ripples may be due to contractions which is normal

If you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Need to clear throat after crunchy food, Take acid reflux medicine. Had Endoscopy. Finding? 19 hours later
the ripples are the tertiary contractions, you are saying these are normal ?
the doctor who did the endoscopy said that they may the the cause of the food sticking in the esophagus. He didnt say they were normal. who do I believe?
Also you didn't answer the question regarding the mucosa being edematous and friable, what does that mean in the future and what causes this?
The biopsies you are saying are to show gastritis , do they show any other abnormalities?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback.

Ripples which is seen on image are contractions whether these are primary or tertiary it can be told by the doctor who did endoscopy. So from image one can say only that these are contractions but the type cannot be told only by seeing the image only. However the type of contraction can be confirmed only after manometry examination only not simply by visualizing it

In the previous prescription I have described clearly about the oedematous and friable mucosa. I think you haven't gone through it. I will repeat it again for you.
In image 1 if u see carefully there is some reddish tongue like projections which appears to be oedematous that is swollen and inflamed. Friable means mucosa that bleeds on touch of even the endoscope. They suggest that there is some inflammation which on biopsy may come out to be oesophagitis and it doesn't appears to be cancerous and they are produced due to reflux of acid and they may heal after preventing reflux of acid by taking proton pump inhibitor

I hope that the biopsies will show gastritis or oesophagits however it may be confirmed on histopathology report so let's wait for the report of biopsies

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. However if you do not have any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Need to clear throat after crunchy food, Take acid reflux medicine. Had Endoscopy. Finding? 4 hours later
I scanned the pictures from the endoscopy done 2008, in the one picture there appears to be the same inflammation, is this the same one as on this endoscopy. I dont have the written report so I dont know what part of the esophagus it was in.
If it wasn't cancer then, is it safe to say that it's not cancer now since it appears to look the same in the pictures?
i just realized that the report wasnt uploaded probably , I just updated it again for 2008 can you please answer the previous question with the 2008 report.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have gone through both the reports.

Both inflammation are located at distal end of oesophagus. It appears to be same as in 2008

Believe it doesn't appear to be cancer at all, it is simply inflammation. And for confirmation let's wait for the report of biopsy

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you do not have any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.