Need medication for heartburn and gas

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I been having a lot of heartburn and gas I have try many things over the counter meds.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
If you are on steroids for asthma control, then that can cause peptic ulceration which can lead to the symptoms you have described. They can also be caused by gastro-esophageal reflux disease which occurs due to a lax sphincter at the lower end of the food pipe which causes the acid to reflux into the food pipe.
I would suggest you get an endoscopy done so that we can have a clearer picture. Till then the following will help:
a. Have small meals every 3-4 hours
b. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking
c. You can take Tablet Prevacid OTC one tablet once a day one hour before meals for 3-4 weeks.
d. You can speak with your physician about sucralfate and pantoprazole. This combination can prove useful.
e. Have a cup of milk at night before going to bed.
Hope this helps.
With regards