Need information regarding ham reduction therapy

I’m inspiring to be an addiction psychologist. If I had a client that has rejected an approach to treatment that I had recommended but shows interest in another that you think may be less helpful (though not harmful) to the client., what detailed advice might I offer your client? How does Harm Reduction Therapy play a role?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should let the patient decide

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The problem with the addiction disorder is with motivation to continue the therapy. Manytimes when we force the patient for a therapy there is a problem with compliance. You should try to convince the patient but then should follow a therapy which the patient intends.
Anyway its not going to harm the patient.
Harm reduction is a good way of starting the therapy and improves the motivation as well. It can be stepping stone for the therapy.
Addiction psychologist is a very challanging and interesting job and best of luck for the therapies.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Need information regarding ham reduction therapy 19 hours later
What do you mean by "many times when we force the patient for a therapy there is a problem with compliance?"
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.
What I meant by the statement above is when you feel that a type of treatment (therapy) will be effective for yout patient and if the patient is not willing to try it. Still you try to coerce the patient into accepting this line of treatment as you feel it is good for the patient. But then this whole approach reduces the motivation of the patient. Its always considered best to start a therapy which is in concent with the patient.
Fo an example you suggest cognitive behavioural therapy for a patient and the patient insists for medications but still you start CBT then the patient may not attend all the sessions and loose to folllowup.
Hope i am able to explain it.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy