Need information on Poland syndrome. Left breast is larger than right. Surgical correction advised

I'm really sure that I have something call polands syndrome but not many doctors know what it is. What should I do?
I have reason to believe that I have Polands Syndrome. I have been reseaching this for some time now. My insurance UHC will pay for surgical correction if this is proven, which I'm sure it will be. My left breat is 3 To 4 sizes larger than the right. I have a copy of my insur. policy on this matter if you would like a copy. Please contact me a.s.a.p. if you can help. Thank you!!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 51 minutes later
Hi Dear,

Thank you for posting your query.

Poland syndrome is a developmental abnormality and can present with
unilateral involvement of the chest muscles, skin and subcutaneous tissues, bones, and upper extremity.

The absence of the sternal head of the pectoralis major muscle is considered the minimal expression of this syndrome.

The skin of the area is hypoplastic with a thinned subcutaneous layer, and the axillary hair may be absent.

The ipsilateral nipple is often smaller and higher in both male and female patients, and the breast is generally hypoplastic in female patients (As in your case).

Skeletal deformities may involve absence of portions of the ribs or costal cartilages anteriorly. In severe cases, anterior lung herniation may be present.

The scapula may be smaller with winging; this is termed Sprengel deformity.

The upper extremity also may be hypoplastic.

The upper arm, forearm, and fingers may be shortened, which is termed brachysymphalangism.

Simple, complete, or incomplete syndactyly can also be found in patients with Poland syndrome.

The classic ipsilateral features of Poland syndrome include the following:

Absence of sternal head of the pectoralis major muscle
Hypoplasia and/or aplasia of breast or nipple (athelia)
Deficiency of subcutaneous fat and axillary hair
Abnormalities of rib cage
Upper extremity anomalies; short upper arm, forearm, or fingers

Additional features of Poland syndrome include the following:

Hypoplasia or aplasia of serratus, external oblique, pectoralis minor, latissimus dorsi, infraspinatus, and supraspinatus muscles
Total absence of anterolateral ribs and herniation of lung
hypoplasia or aplasia of the middle phalanges.

Investigations like
Examination of lymph nodes and a complete blood cell count should assist with evaluation for associated leukemia , lymphoma.

Determining chest wall abnormalities and the presence of the latissimus muscle may require evaluation with CT scan.

A chest radiograph(X ray) may be indicated to determine rib abnormalities.

If you have mild breast asymmetry, breast reconstruction with an implant expander can be considered in a one-stage operative procedure.

Hope this helps you .

If you have any further query feel free to communicate to me.

Dr Sudarshan