Need immediate weight loss. What are the options?

How to bring down weight drastically?

Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 7 hours later

Thanks for seeking opinion via WWW.WWWW.WW

Kindly mention your height, weight and fat percentage (if you know).
Once I receive your data, I shall offer more specific comments.

Dr. LK Shankhdhar
Follow-up: Need immediate weight loss. What are the options? 12 hours later
Height 6 feet and 1 inche
Weight - 120 Kgs

More over I have Hypertension also. and taking Prozopress XL 5 1 in morning and 2 in the night and + olmin CH 40 (these dose were started recently (last week) since
my BP reading was at 160/90. In addition since I have pedal odema I was taking
dyter plus and now i was switched over to Lasix. But still pedal odema continues.

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 20 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Your height and weight ratio (BMI) shows that you are frankly obese. Diabetes and obesity are often found together and called Diabesity. Your BMI is 36.25 Kg/Sq.M

As per guidelines of American Diabetes Association, if Body Mass Index (BMI) were >35 Kg/Sq. M, Gastric Banding should be considered for weight reduction and that is the most drastic weight reducing method. This method is also called Bariatric Surgery.

There are many benefits expected out of this procedures e.g.
1. Upto 80% patients become diabetes free and do not require any medication.
2. Even high blood pressure disappears in most patients.
3. Although your data does not reveal disturbed lipids but most diabetes patients do have dyslipidemia and that too is benefited greatly by this procedure.

Those who do not undergo these procedures may try some medicines, low caloric diet and exercise. Among medicines most effective being Orlistat. This medicine works by inhibiting Lipase enzymes in intestine which helps in digestion of dietary fat. By inhibiting Lipase Orlistat encourages fat loss through stool. But remember this medicine is quite costly, average daily cost being approximately Rs. 200/-and weight loss is not drastic.

You might be suggested to be on Liraglutide, an antidiabetic injectable preparation which also aids in reducing weight.

Hope this much shall satisfy you but I will welcome any further questioning from you.

With best wishes,
Dr. LK Shankhdhar