Need help with losing weight. Gained weight during pregnancy, breastfeeding now. Diet chart?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi doc,

i need help in losing weight
I had a baby this April
Prior to my pregnancy I was 60kgs & perfectly structured.I gained close to 25-27kgs by the end of it,
im 73-74kgs now & my baby is only on breastmilk yet
i avoid rice but eat everything else,i hvnt started any exercise yet as i had a c section & was advised exercise 6 months post delivery
could u help me wit a diet chart
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 2 days later

Thanks for posting your query

I understand that you are still breastfeeding and you are not advised to restrict calories in your food. The calories recommended are generally increased during breast feeding. So choose your foods wisely. The key is to add the types of food that can keep you feeling satisfied and full, without packing on the pounds.

High-fibre foods are higher in volume and also makes them filling. They also take longer to chew, which makes them more satisfying to eat. High-fibre foods also take a long time to digest, which means you’ll feel full longer. The high water and fiber content in most fruits and vegetables makes them hard to overeat.

The following some steps which will help,
1. Instead of the traditional 3 meals a day, eat only when you are actually hungry. And eat what you like but try to be healthy at the same time. Avoid eating anything 3 hours before sleeping.
2. Avoid chocolate, cake, brownies, potato chips, ice cream, fizzy drinks or any junk food.
3. Never starve yourself. It also makes you feel woozy, tired, and makes you hungrier.
4. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, especially if you feel like snacking or for dessert. Note that some plants such as corns, avocado, banana, coconut, contain much higher calories than others. You don't need to avoid all the high calories plants but just don't think you can eat them as much as you want.
5. Aim to eat 'good carbs (Carbohydrates)' (which have a low glycemic index) such as brown rice, oats, whole-wheat bread and whole-wheat pasta. Try not to have carbs after 5pm as any unused carbs will likely be stored as fat overnight, negating your morning bike session.
6. Don’t forget about exercising! Atleast 30 minutes of daily walking.
7. Eat breakfast each morning. Eating something in the morning gets your metabolism going and prevents you from binge eating later in the day.
8. Drink plenty of water, and cut down on carbonated beverages, particularly those with a lot of sugar. Try to not drink any soda.

You can actually cut down calories after you stop breastfeeding.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Grace Abraham.