Need help in reading a blood sugar report. Ways to increase the hemoglobin levels?

Hi, I got a blood test done yesterday and my fasting blood sugar level reads 109mg/dl . Is that above normal? Do I need to cut down on sugars? Last month I had a random blood sugar test done(it was not a lab blood test but a prick in my finger and a little device with which the doctors gave me the reading) and the Random blood sugar was 120 mg/dl and I was told that it was normal.
Also, my hemoglobin levels are reported to be low in yesterday's test. What should I do to increase it? Please advise.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

Fasting blood sugar of 109 and random blood sugar of 120, both are normal.

The normal range for fasting sugar is 110mg/dl. Above 110 and below 125 is known as impaired glucose tolerance and reading above 125 label you as a diabetic.

This means there is absolutely "no reason" for you to worry. In case you are having family history of diabetes please keep it checked on regular basis after the age of 35-40 years.

In typical young females, low hemoglobin is very common. Please do following which should help.

1. Take good healthy diet, XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits and salads.
2. Take good amount of milk and milk products.
3. Avoid too much of junk food, tea, coffee etc.
4. Please talk to your doctor and ascertain the reason for this low hemoglobin level. Along with this your doctor will help you to identify the type of anemia (low hemoglobin level) that you have. Now a day’s vit b12 deficiency is increasing which also can lead to low hemoglobin.
5. Do regular exercise and maintain healthy life style to remain disease free.
6. In case the hemoglobin is very low, you may need iron tablets for 2-3 months.

I hope this answers your query and clarify your doubts. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.