Need help in assessing the serum iron levels in blood test report

is serum iron of 71 on my blood test a concern? It's down from 138 last year. All the other values are well within the parameters.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later

This is good to know that you are very healthy.

I am glad to tell you that your serum iron is still within normal limits. Although there is a great fall but as long as your Complete Blood Count parameters are within normal limits, this is not a great concern.

Please note that normal ranges of iron may vary slightly among different laboratories. So, it is a good practice to talk to your advising doctor about the meaning of your specific test results as they are in a better position to talk about the results of a specific lab they have chosen for you to go.
Reasons of a low serum iron could be a low dietary intake, decreased absorption, or chronic blood loss from your gut.

So, if you don't have any other symptom and this test was just a part of your routine health check up you should not be so concerned about that.

I suggest you to repeat your serum iron & complete blood count (CBC) after 3 months if all else is OK just to know the trends. If there is a further fall or your CBC gets abnormal you should see a Physician for complete health check up & review of your history. The doctor may then advise you certain tests to find out the reasons of this fall if there is no clinical clue.

I hope I have provided you with the desired response. If you wish, you may discuss this further.
I will be there to answer any more questions from you.

Wish you good health.

Best Regards.