Ask a Dentist   »  

Need explanation on the knee arthroscopy reports

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Can you explain arthroscopy pictures of knee if I upload them?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 1 hour later
Dear Shirleyshr,

I have seen the pictures attached.

You must write which knee the arthroscopy pictures are from (right or left). Also detailed history and other reports are important. I wish if you can procure the operative notes as well as all these details help in giving a better opinion.

Hence, do not hide information but give as much as information as possible the medical history, the symptoms why was the arthroscopy done.

I shall be able to reply further only on Monday, after receiving further details. Hope this is fine with you.

Dr Deepak Goyal.
Consultant Knee Joint Surgeon.
Follow-up: Need explanation on the knee arthroscopy reports 33 minutes later
It's my right knee. I understand that they show a hole inside my knee and arthitus. I don't have any more information and simply want to understand what the pictures mean.

I first went to my doctor after experiencing pain at the back of my knee, mostly whilst walking, the pain had been there for about 6 months but then got worse. I had an MRI and my consultant suggested an arthroscopy to see what could be done. I gather I had a lot done during this and was off work for 7 weeks. I have since had a cortisone injection. I am not fully recovered, still cannot walk normally downstairs or bend the knee the same as the other one and a knee cap replacement may be considered later next month depending on what improvement is made in the meantime. That's about all I have, hope it's enough for you to indicate which pictures indicate the hole/arthritus.
Dear Madam,

Please show what is written behind yellow tag, you have put over all pictures.

There might me some more information on it. Also you can attach MRI report and discharge note of operation.

Dr Deepak Goyal
Follow-up: Need explanation on the knee arthroscopy reports 1 hour later
The only thing on the sticker is my address and date of birth. I don't have any more information. If you cannot explain what the pictures suggest then I don't think we need go on?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 18 minutes later
Sometimes the label on pictures also gives information like what portal, and which compartment is shown. Anyway from the pictures, I can make out following. Beware, it is just an assumption and may be misinterpretation.

1. Patella - is has extensive damaged cartilage.
2. Trochlea is also badly damaged. It seems it is a tight PF joint.
3 Radiofrequency probe is seen, probably used for cartilage repair.
4. Lateral patellar release attempt is also seen. Means, attempt is done to make PF joint slightly loose.
5. Lateral compartment looks normal.
6. Ligaments look normal
7. There might be small medial meniscus tear.

I hope this helps.
Dr Deepak Goyal
Follow-up: Need explanation on the knee arthroscopy reports 13 hours later
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 8 minutes later

You are welcome. If my answers were helpful to you and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention, “Dr. Deepak Goyal”.

Thanks again for posting your query here.

Wish you good health.