Need advice on unwanted pregnancy. Can emergency contraceptive pill be taken after unprotected intercourse? Side effects?

i was taking folic acid for last 1 month and did unprotected sex yesterday. Now i dont want to have a baby. Can i take a contraceptive pill within 24 hrs of sex ? Is there any side effects for that? Should i stop taking folic acid for some days? My main query is to stop the baby birth for now. Please advice
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
If you do not want to get pregnant then you can take emergency contraceptive pill within 24 hours of unprotected intercourse.
Emergency contrceptive is a single dose tablet and should be taken as early as possible and not later than 72 hours of unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. It is not effective if taken 72 hours after unprotected sex. It is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours.
It may cause headache, nausea, mild spotting after 4-5 days and may delay the next period by a week or so; but if the periods are delayed for more than 10 days then consider visiting a Gynaecologist for evaluation.
If you do not want to concieve then you can stop taking folic acid and start aking regular contraceptive pils from next cycle after consulting your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.