Need advice on diet and exercise for losing weight

Infertility Specialist
i am 29 old female . Basically i am a large frame girl only . Befor a year i weighed 165lbs and now 188lbs . Diet does not work and gymming too goes useless . I wanted to come to 150 lbs in 2 months so that i get pregnent . PL i begg you all to help.
Pl mail me a diet and exercise routine for 2 months to reduce 10kg per month . do pl say that lossing 10kg in a month is not advisable . I XXXXXXX bother . Pl give me a plan .
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Given that you have tried all types of diet and exercise, I would recommend the following:
1. Get yourself evaluated for certain medical disorders which if left untreated can cause or increase obesity.
- Get a thyroid profile done (TSH,T3,T4). This gives us information about whether you are suffering from hypothyroidism. The following investigations need to be done:
a. Serum thyroid stimulating hormone levels
b. Serum free thryoxine levels (FT4 levels)
c. Serum thyronine levels (T3 levels)
2. Get a fasting and post prandial blood sugar ( 2 hours after meals) blood sugar to rule out diabetes.
3. The following steps will help you lose weight:
a)      Instead of the traditional 3 meals a day, eat only when you are actually hungry, and eat what you like but try to be healthy. Avoid eating anything 3 hours before sleeping.
b)     Never starve yourself. It shuts down your metabolism which is a major process to help you lose weight. It also makes you feel woozy, tired, and makes you hungrier and your weight-loss plan unsustainable
c)     Avoid chocolate, cake, brownies, potato chips, ice cream, fizzy drinks or any junk food.
d)     Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, especially if you feel like snacking or for dessert. Note that some plants such as corns, avocado, banana, coconut, contain much higher calories than others. You don't need to avoid all the high calories plants but just don't think you can eat them as much as you want.
e)     Eat breakfast each morning. Eating something in the morning gets your metabolism going and prevents you from binge eating later in the day.
f)     Aim to eat 'good carbs (Carbohydrates)' (which have a low glycemic index) such as brown rice, oats, whole-wheat bread and whole-wheat pasta. Try not to have carbs after 5pm as any unused carbs will likely be stored as fat overnight, negating your morning bike session.
g)     Drink plenty of water, and cut down on carbonated beverages, particularly those with a lot of sugar. Try to not drink any soda
h)     Exercise for atleast 1 hour daily. This has to be moderate, aerobic exercise. On alternate days, you would need weight training and floor exercise sessions

Here’s a sample diet plan:

7:00 am: eat a fruit
8:00: breakfast (poha/idli/roti/whole wheat bread/wheat flakes +skimmed milk)
10:00 am- XXXXXXX tea
12:00 pm: 1.5 roti + sabji
2:00 pm: 1 roti +dal
4:00 pm: idli/sprouts/fruit
6:00 pm: XXXXXXX tea
8:00 pm: 1-2 roti+dal+sabji

4. Please remember that a crash diet will not help you lose weight in the long run. It really slows down your metabolism and makes you body store every single morsel of food that you eat. Not only that, when you come back to your original diet, you not only regain your weight but also gain some more. Additionally, it can severely harm your body in the long run.
5. Safe weight loss is considered to be no more than 1-2 pounds per week. The idea is to make healthy eating and exercising a lifestyle change rather than a plug and play thing which you use only when you need to lose weight.