Need advice on ADHD. The diagnosis and treatment includes?

I need some advice on ADHD the diagnosis and treatment in Bangalore.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
Bangalore has NIMHANS , click here for their Visiting schedule .
You may also visit Bikram Hospital and XXXXXXX neurologist Dr Raghvendran there.
Being a pediatrician practicing neurology, I and my wife at TN Medical college Mumbai do come across many cases with queries similar to you.

There are some basic facts which I request you to understand.
ADHD is a spectrum of diseases varying from normal trait to severe disability in work.

All children with this label need not be bad performers all the time, rather a good number have good intelligence which needs to be channelised properly in systematic manner in most cases.

Putting a label, humiliating the child etc may result in added on depression that may create more psychiatry issues.

There are definite drugs to reduce hyper activity and there can be coordinated efforts towards improving attention.

Often psychologists and psychiatrists come in picture with possibility of multiple drugs (often not indicated), and often doubting the child's capabilities, making them under perform further.

Many doctors have developed many rating scales to classify severity of the issue. Often child psychiatrists use such scales /questionnaires.

My concern is individualizing the issues in a given child/adult that may help target specific areas of disability.
Often many kids have social issues and monotonous speech issues that too may need individual therapy.

Being a super specialty issue there will only be countable specialists at major cities. Most patients often get fed up with repeated follow ups
especially when doctors do not give attention to concerns of parents. A good number of cases learn to adjust with environment over a period of decade and adjust themselves in society with some introvert personality and at times high professional skills with minor social issues.

If any time coming across Mumbai, you may try to discuss all related issues with us at TN Medical college Mumbai central.

i hope this addresses your concerns. Please detail me about your child if you need any further individualised advice.