Neck strain, swelling on back of head near ear, throat discomfort. Suggestion?

Question
i have feeling some strain in my left side of neck,which may caused because of swelling on back of my head near to left ear.While I consulted a doctor he told me because of danddruff,but I feel discomfort upto my throat.please give suggestion
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
The local pain, spasm in the neck on one side indicates a local cause.
Swelling on the back of head near the ear is suggestive of a local condition that is involving the to nearby regions.
It can be enlarged inflamed lymph nodes due to some infection in the catchment areas like lips, tongue, ear, scalp etc.
Another possibility is a disease of Cervical spine and for which a CT Cervical spine should be done to know the status of vertebrae.
A physical examination by an experienced physician would be of great help.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Neck strain, swelling on back of head near ear, throat discomfort. Suggestion? 14 hours later
enlarged inflamed lymph nodes due to some infection in the catchment areas like lips, tongue, ear, scalp etc..It was affected upto shoulder portion of my throat.Is it need any treatment. XXXXXXX J

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Wecome back to Heathcare Magic!
Yes it need medical attention, the first step would be to get a concrete diagnosis.
Please get the work-up I have advised in the previous reply, also get a review from your local physician which can give more vital input in the problem.
Then we would be able to decide on the treatment plan.
Wish you a great health!