Neck stiffness, tingling in the head, taken cymbalta and neurontin, done X-ray, MRI and EMG, loss of curvature in the spine

Question
I have an ongoing neck stiffness issue for nearly 2 years now. The stiffness starts at both sides of the neck and feels like as if its travelling up the back of my head. I would also get a tingling irritating feeling at the crown of my head.On consulting my GP I was sent for x-rays which showed a loss of the curvature of the spine. A course of physio was prescribed with no improvement. I was them sent for a MRI scan on the neck and cervical spine which highlighted spondylotic changes of the cervical spine with mild diffuse disc bulge at C4-C5 and C6-C7.I was then given trigger point injections with botox injections in my neck but will little improvement. As I was still complaining regarding the irritating feeling in my head the neurosurgeon sent me for a MRI of the brain and a EMG. Both were clear and he prescribed a course of Cymbalta and Neurontin. The feelings were better with the medication but since the medicine has ran its course the tingling is still there. Also just for your info my BP when checked today and was at 149/73 which I am also on medication for called co-approval and there is a lack of Vitamin D in my system.

Thanks
Mark
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 46 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have Numbness or weakness in your Limbs?
2.) Do you have shoulder or chest pain?
3.) Do you have Loss of Bowel or Bladder control?
4.) I would like to know your age and occupation.

As you have said, your History suggests you have
1.) Cervical Spondylosis
2.) Intervertebral Disc Bulge

The above conditions cause pressure over the nerves and your symptoms. You are on right medications. Just take them as directed by your Doctor and go for regular follow up. While there is no definite medication or treatment for spondylosis, in addition to the medications you will have to change your lifestyle for excellent results. Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate the condition. Basic balanced nutrition and exercises are must for a trouble free life. Posture modifications can be adopted by speaking to experts which can help to continue your day to day activities

Speak to your surgeon, if your symptoms don't subside, there are other various treatment options like
1.) Wearing a neck brace
2.) Physical Therapy
3.) Traction
4.) Steroid Injections
5.) Surgical Correction.

Follow these lifestyle modifications,

1.) Apply heat or cold packs regularly.
2.) Take a hot shower everyday.
3.) Do regular physical therapy.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
5.) Since you have High Blood Pressure, you should be getting yourself examined by a diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
7.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Neck stiffness, tingling in the head, taken cymbalta and neurontin, done X-ray, MRI and EMG, loss of curvature in the spine 2 hours later
My age is 39 and occupation is a manager. No bowel problems. Last 3 days slight left chest pain with tingling in the arm. Visited doctor today and had ECG which was clear. Being lifting weights so might be a strain issue.

Mark

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 11 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for Writing Back.

Your follow up History doesn't suggest any serious risk factor as your ECG is absolutely fine. Not to worry as your Symptoms point to Cervical Spondylosis and they can be easily controlled with Proper medications and Lifestyle modifications.

Follow the advice which I had given you earlier, if you smoke avoid it, avoid lifting heavy weights and get yourself examined by a Orthopedicain at the earliest. Stick to your Treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Good Health once again.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Neck stiffness, tingling in the head, taken cymbalta and neurontin, done X-ray, MRI and EMG, loss of curvature in the spine 1 hour later
Dr XXXXXXX

One last question. Around 6pm last night I got this dull pain on the right side of my head above the ear. I managed to get some sleep but on waking this morning it is still there and now my eye seems to be a little sore. Can I be suffering from tension headaches due to my neck problem

Thank for your help

Mark

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for getting back to us.

Is the pain severe when you move your head?

Your History suggests it could be either,

1.) Migraine.
2.) Sinusitis.
3.) Tension Headache.

Kindly get yourself examined by a ENT (ear ,nose,throat) Specialist so that he/she can examine you and give his/her opinion and treat you accordingly if necessary. Get some stream inhalations before going to bed, avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

All the Best.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.