Neck spasms and pain, headache on left side. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just spent 2 hours in the sun watching a football game. about an hour into it, my neck started hurting ... now my neck is in full spasm and pains terribly. also head ache on e left side only. 10 min in the car with A/C on and it's already much better.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a neck muscle sprain due to an abnormal neck position while watching the football game.
You can do some icing in the area for relief from pain. Taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen will help you. You can also apply a local analgesic gel in the area.
In case the pain is persistent, you may need oral muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside for better relief from the muscle spasm after consulting with your physician.
Try to avoid doing any painful neck movements. Such sprains do take 3-4 days to heal spontaneously.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.