Neck pain, sleeplessness, ear pain, lumps on skull. Advils not working. Should I see an ENT or GP?

A few days ago the left side of my neck started to hurt. It was impossible to turn my head to the right or left. I was sleepless for nights. If I applied pressure on the left side of my neck the pain went away. So that's what I did for a few days. Then I discovered, the area where I was pressing, a lump has appeared. Now I'm having some pain in my left ear. When I use the suction ear piece and I pull it out it's painful. Then yesterday, 1/09/12, I filled my day with happy thoughts and my pain subsided. I was under the impression I was getting better. By the end of the day I was putting up my hair and I felt 4-5 lumps on the left side of my skull. I took two Advils and I'm still feeling the pain. Should I see an ENT or a GP?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

By the words, I seem to think of lymph nodes around the skull region especially the back of the ear which are involved in infections/inflammations of the middle ear.

I would suggest you to get a review with a ENT specialist, as he shall have the ear examining equipment to see the condition. You need not worry much, as even in the possibility that it is infection - antibiotics would do the job.

Else, those swellings would need a closer look if I am wrong. A clinical review would tell all.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.