Neck pain, numbness, permanent headaches, fever, carpal tunnel, high BP. Reason?

I am going to see a specialist tomorrow for hands, that goes so num, the area in my arm where my paulse is are so num at times like now while I am busy typing. And when my arm is so num my neck pains so much, feels like it goes into spasma and I have these permanent headaches, sometimes fever as well. My home doctor refered me to a specialist, my doctor mentioned something about copple tunnel. The more I work with my hand the worse it gets. The lady at the doctors office mentioned that the doctor might do a nurve test. What exactly do they do when they do a nurve test and what is the quickest way to stop this immediately? Age is 40, weight 62, high blood pressure
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for the query,

Any condition that exerts pressure on the median nerve at the wrist can cause myofascia – the tissue that wraps our muscles from head to toe, can preserve tension so instead of sliding as our body parts move, retains tension and sticks. So, some carpal tunnel pain can create spasm in our neck and headaches can arise.
Common conditions that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome include obesity, pregnancy, hypothyroidism, arthritis, diabetes, and trauma. Tendon inflammation resulting from repetitive work, such as uninterrupted typing, can also be the cause.
During nerve conduction studies, surface electrodes are first fastened to the hand and wrist. Small electric shocks are then applied to the nerves in the fingers, wrist, and forearm to measure how fast a signal travels through the nerves that control movement and sensation.

Treatment is basically surgery,(you will have to consult an orthopaedician) but you can try some exercises that might help you;

Extend both arms straight out in front of you.
Extend your wrists and fingers back (as if directing traffic to stop).
Hold this position for 5 seconds.
Now straighten your wrists and relax your fingers.
With your arms still straight out in front of you, keep your wrists straight, make a fist, and squeeze it tightly.
Hold this position for 5 seconds.
Keep your fists clenched and bend your wrists down.
Hold this position for 5 seconds.
Straighten both wrists and relax your fingers again.
Repeat this 9 more times.

Hope my answer is adequate,I am available for follow up should you have any more concern.