Neck pain and tenderness in gland under left jaw. What could this be?

Hi for many months I have been having an achy neck on the left side. The nodules up at the base of my skull are veryl tender and there's an area like almost close to the front of my neck almost Like down from my left ear.
- not close to the thyroid- but little owar on the side it goes all the way down to my shoulder at times. Today the gland under my left jaw was tender and when I put my fingers in my mouth under my tongue it was really really sore there where I could push and feel it sore to that gland on the outside under my jaw hard to explain. I know one thing that irritates it is that I'd lean on my left arm a lot laying on my bed I do all my typing and eating and reading laying on my left arm and I sleep a lot on my left side and some days I wake up and everything feels fine and good and other days I wake up and everything is sore today I got of those little bit scared because that gland was so sore going in to under going under my tongue. I could feel it when I was eating when I go to swallow it was sore on the left side.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit an ENT surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hi Goddess,
I went through your history and concluded that you may have some neck lump, possibly inflammatory. It may be probably submandibular galnd, which is a salivary gland.
You must visit an ENT surgeon to assess that swelling. He may prescribe you some antibiotics and if needed some surgery for draining the pus if it is needed. Meanwhile drink plenty of water, may take some analgesics like paracetamol and antibiotics like amoxycillin and clavulanic acid.
If it is a visible lump outside then a test called FNAC which is aspirating the lump with a fine needle and examination of aspirate by pathologist to know the nature of the lesion, can be made....

Best wishes