Neck pain and tenderness. Had itching and hives on back after taking Combiflam. What is the cause of pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hello doctor,
my husband has got severe neck pain and tenderness since last two days after waking up in d morning 2days back.can u pls tell me d cause and treatment.problem is he took combiflam tablet 2 days back but he had an allergic reaction which consisted of itching and hives on back and chest.so we r really worried which analgesic he should take now to relieve pain.the pain is really severe.pls help.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Sudden severe neck pain in the morning is likely to be due to a muscle spasm.
Since he had an allergic reaction to combiflam, it is best to avoid pain killers for now.
For pain relief, do a hot fomentation thrice daily and apply a local analgesic gel on the area. You can also get some muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside and opioid analgesics like tramadol prescribed from your orthopedician in case the pain is persistent and not bearable.
Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief. Avoid using a pillow, working on computer and any abnormal neck positions.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Neck pain and tenderness. Had itching and hives on back after taking Combiflam. What is the cause of pain? 1 hour later
thanks for the reply doctor.i just wana ask can my husband take a muscle relaxant by d name of mobizox. is it a safe drug..

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Mobizox contains chlorzoxazone with paracetamol and diclofenac. The pain killers present in this combination can again cause an allergic reaction in your husband.
It is best to take plain muscle relaxant preparations like thiocolchicoside.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Neck pain and tenderness. Had itching and hives on back after taking Combiflam. What is the cause of pain? 4 hours later
thanks for d reply once again.i just wana knw one more thing.shud my husband undergo a cervical spine MRI to find out the exact pathology...

Hello.
Cervical spine MRI will be helpful in detecting any cervical spine degeneration or disc problem. It will be helpful in the diagnosis. You can consult an orthopedician for any other related necessary investigations.
Wishing your husband a trouble free early recovery.
Regards.

Follow-up: Neck pain and tenderness. Had itching and hives on back after taking Combiflam. What is the cause of pain? 40 hours later
hello dr tayal,
my hubby underwent a cervical spine MRI yesterday and it has shown some early degenerative disc changes and slight disc bulge in c5 to c6 region without any significant nerve compression.can u pls suggest me wat has to be done now.there r some osteophytes also from C2 TO C6.

Hello.
The changes in his MRI are all age related degenerative changes of the cervical spine. To retard the progression of such changes, regular physiotherapy and cervical isometric exercises are necessary under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist.
These minor changes are not worrisome and can be taken care of by adequate treatment. Please do not worry.
Regards.