Neck fractured in an accident. Had shoulder operation and injured lower back. CT scan done. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there, I had a serve car accident in 2010 i fractured my neck in 2 place and ive had an operation on my L shoulder and injuried my lower back i had a CT done today on my back and here are the results:
There is a left posterolateral disc protrusion at L5/S1 causing slight thecal sac indention and moderate right sided exit foraminal narrowing with contact to the exiting nerve root.
At L4/5 there is a generalised annular bulge causing slight thecal sac indentation.

Can u help me im on number of tablets:
Valpro 200
Moxicam 15
Tramedo 50mg

Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of a degenerative disc problem at the level of L5-S1. There is minimal compression of the nerve fibers. These are age related degenerative changes and are not likely to be related to the trauma you had.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You are already taking adequate analgesics. You can get the proper muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and the symptoms are gradually worsening.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.