Neck and shoulder pain with horrible vertigo.Took amoxicillian and bonine. Report said muscousal thickening in sphenoid sinus

ENT Specialist
Hi there..i am a 41 year old female..for about 3 months i have had neck and shoulder pain..not sevre just bothersome...then three weeks ago on vacation i sat up in bed and had horrible vertigo...i laid back down only to have it return when i turned on my side..needless to say i went to ER..they did perform cat scan with no contrast..i didnt get the report at that doctor said i have chronic sinusitus and gave me a ten day supply of amoxicillian and told me to take bonine tabs when needed..i didnt have another spell the rest of vacation just felt off...when i returned i went to my md and he ran complete blood work and showed me exercises to help vertigo..said my ears were clear little fluid behind left and he was going to have cat scan report faxed to him..i got my bloodwork back next day all levels normal and i got copy of cat scan was normal except for muscousal thickening in sphenoid sinus and 9mm polyp in maxillary sinus..this morning i woke up and had vertigo again..and am very this vertigo caused by my sinus problem?? Are there any home remedies..i have been doing nasal flushes with neti pot but from what i read this does not help sphenoid sinus..
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your clinical history after considering all aspect of your problems, it appears that you have vertigo possibly due to vestibular origin. Since you have pain on back of neck, we should consider cervical spondylosis also in your disease process.

As you said that your C.T.scan indicates polyp in maxillary sinus and mucosal thickening in sphenoid sinus, all these findings are indicating sinusitis. But this little sinusitis usually does not produce vertigo. Truly speaking, sinusitis is when quite severe than it causes post nasal drip and thus sore throat develop. Infection from throat reaches to ear via Eustachian tube and thus vertigo may appear therefore in your case vertigo is possibly BPPV.

This BPPV is a self limiting and is due to vestibular insufficiency. Here spontaneous recovery takes place and this usually takes 2 to 3 weeks time. The same time you may take anti vertigo drugs like cinnarizine or betahistine along with some vestibular rehabilitation exercise after the consultation with your ENT doctor.

Though you have already being investigated by C.T.scan and complete blood testing but now there appears the need of vestibular function test in your case these tests are being done by ENT doctor, and this test will confirm the above possible diagnosis.

I hope in this way you will be vertigo free.

With Regards.