Nausea, reverse peristalsis post bowel movement, clear white mucus from throat, CT scan detected diverticulosis condition. Treatment ?

Question
I am following up on my disucssion from yesterday. I am still concerned that i am retching every morning as a result of this diverticulosis condition found on ct scan. You said that this is responsible for my nausea and refer to the reverse peristalsis in the morning after a bowel movement. Then i begin to feel nauseous and dry vomit. I am also feeling very congested and produce a lot of clear and white mucus from my nose and throat. This feeling exists for two hours mostly, it is very unpleasant, disruptive to my morning and i cant work till after 10 am .. i have also become very upset about this and it has made me feel very stressed.
I need more recommendation what to take to calm this down --

i have had this for a long time and its very disturbing .. medications, etc?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Nausea with a feeling of congestion along with production of a lot of white mucus from nose and throat can be due to Diverticulosis or might be a result of Allergic sinusitis which gets precipitated in early morning hours due to sudden temperature change.

The best way to get rid of all this is to use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). But these are to be used for 5-7 days at a time. You can combine an antiemetic like stemetil for better relief.

You may also use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription. However the best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

You need to consult an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialist and get investigations done. These include an evaluation of the sinuses, a chest X-ray, blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) and C-reactive protein, trans illumination test and may be an X-Ray sinuses and CT (Computed Tomography) sinuses.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.

Follow-up: Nausea, reverse peristalsis post bowel movement, clear white mucus from throat, CT scan detected diverticulosis condition. Treatment ? 12 hours later
Thank you -- I will have the results of my latest blood work coming tomorrow evening -- what should I be looking for? -- i will respond with results-

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

From your symptoms, an allergic cause is expected with raised eosinophils.

Please do let me know your blood reports for further evaluation.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Nausea, reverse peristalsis post bowel movement, clear white mucus from throat, CT scan detected diverticulosis condition. Treatment ? 41 hours later
My blood test results - these were "out of range":

Monocyte .98

CO2 30

Bilirubin Total 2.0

Cholesterol HDL 35

LDL 139

cholestrol/hdl ratio 5.7

does the high bilirubin suggest gallbladder? and why i may feel nauseated? What do these numbers tell you? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Nice to see you again.
From these reports, it is evident that your cholesterol is raised slightly and the mild rise in bilirubin may be indicative of a gall bladder problem. An ultrasound scan will be helpful in finding out the cause.
Raised monocytes need not worry you as long as there are no symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Nausea, reverse peristalsis post bowel movement, clear white mucus from throat, CT scan detected diverticulosis condition. Treatment ? 6 days later
Hello well my most severe symptom is the morning retching -- i have begun to take a small dose of .5 mg lorezapam at night and 1 mg when i wake up-- for one night now and i slept better and it seems to have relaxed the urge to retch, at least now .. should i continue this? it seems that this is a nerves or anxiety problem .. i wake up shaking sometimes.. my doctor wanted me to try this, i think its helping ive been under stress and always had nervous condition on and off --seems more likely this is the cause than my other conditions. what is your opinion about what i should do?

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

The symptoms of retching can be due to anxiety.
Taking an anti anxiety drug is helping you. You must continue with your present treatment.

Some other measures which will help you include-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.

Follow-up: Nausea, reverse peristalsis post bowel movement, clear white mucus from throat, CT scan detected diverticulosis condition. Treatment ? 10 hours later
is 1 mg of loezapam a small dose? do you recommend going higher or more frequently than once a day?

its been several days now symptoms seem to be more controlled. still have mucus however blowing nose all day .. could i need antibiotic for this? why mucus all the time? for a long time.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Nice to see you again.

Lorazepam 1 mg is the normal clinical dosage and it is usually given 12 hourly. More frequent dosing might cause day time sedation. You can continue the same dosage.

To control the excessive mucus, you need a mucolytic agent to be prescribed by your physician.

Taking steam inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil will also help you a lot.

Hope, this helps.

Wish you good health.

Regards.