Nausea, dizziness, pain in the ear and throat , headache, excessive alcohol intake

I have been feeling nauseous everyday for a week now and also dizzy. Friday morning I woke up and my left ear amd the left side of my throat was hurting. I had a really bad headache, hurting mostly on he left side with sharp pains. My ear and thoat are not hurting anymore but Im still nauseous and the left side of my head is sore. Every time I eat I have to use the bathroom and I have been cramping off and on really bad.I have never been through this and I don't know what it could be.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds like a case of moderate sinusitis. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinuses due to a viral or bacterial cause. When this happens it leads to swelling in the nasal and sinus passageways as well as the ear canal.

This inflammatory response is commonly associated with nausea, dizziness and headache type pain. To address the symptoms I recommend you maintain good fluid hydration and start taking an over the counter medication called Claritin or loratidine. This will facilitate drainage of sinus sections and hopefully will help improve your symptoms.

If symptoms persist you may need an antibiotic. Your doctor can provide you with this if it is indicated. I think 48 hours would be a good amount of time to wait and if symptoms are still there you can see your doctor.

As with any young female we want to make sure you are not pregnant.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response was adequate and informative. Should you have additional concerns I am here for you.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Nausea, dizziness, pain in the ear and throat , headache, excessive alcohol intake 4 hours later
I haven't had any sinus problems, last weekend I did drink too much and the next morning I felt nuaseous and that is when it started.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

In the absence of a real sinus infection what may be going on is and inflammation of the inner ear canal. This is very common and can be caused by a number of factors including a virus or even just a mild degree of inflammation.

What you could try in the absence of trying an antibiotic would be to go to the pharmacy and obtain a over the counter medication called meclizine. This is also a namebrand called Antivert. Try taking this for three or four days to see if you obtain any symptomatic improvement. Also very important to do is to maintain good fluid hydration.

Even in mild degree of dehydration can cause symptoms similar to those which you have reported. It may take a bit of a trial and error approach to see what we can come up with as far as resolving your problem.

I thank you again for submitting your follow-up. I hope this will serve to be quite helpful and informative. As always I am available here if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert