Nausea, dizziness, hot flashes, increases after eating. Any idea?

I am a 29 year old femal experiencing nausea and hot flashes and dizziness, increased after eating? Any ideas as to what could be going on?
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So from what you are telling me, you have a history of fibromyalgia and PCOS. Your medications include metformin and Gralise (gabapentin).

First of all, yes these are possible symptoms of pregnancy, but at the point that you would develop them related to a pregnancy, the test would almost certainly already be positive. So, while you should definitely rule this out, my guess is that if the test is negative, then you are NOT pregnant.

Second, with regard to your symptoms, it is intriguing that they are associated with meals. It is possible that with a carbohydrate load (with a meal) there is a fluctuation in your blood sugars that could explain all of your symptoms. This could also be a side effect of the medications themselves as well.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. If you do not have one, then get a glucose meter
2. Check your blood sugars fasting, before meals, and 1 hour after meals
3. Check your blood sugars when you are having symptoms and see if there is any correlation with your symptoms in terms of the numbers being high or low.

If this does not provide a clue as to the cause of your symptoms, then talk with your doctor about the medications that you are on in terms of assessing whether they are causing side effects.

I hope this helps! - DR XXXXXXX