Nausea, dizziness, fatigue, weight loss, axis deviation in ECG, abnormal blood report

Hi I had a consult yesterday from one of your gps, and below is the question that i asked.

I am 31 years old, and normally fit and well. I have been unwell now for 2 weeks with nausea, dizziness, fatigue and being light headed, along with palpations with occasional missed beats. I have had bloods done and im awaiting results. They also did a pregnancy test which came back negative. They did an ecg which showed normal sinus rhythm, however i noticed that it said right axis deviation 92ยบ. Could this right axis deviation have anything to with these symptoms I have been having. I cannot do my normal daily activities as I am to exhausted, and occasionally i become slightly short of breath when talking.

In addition to this I spoke to our medic who only gave me the results that came back low, they are
Lymphocytes 18.6
Eosophills 0.4
Sodium 134
Creatinine 0.5

These are the only results that came back abnormal, apparently everything else was fine (they tested for anemia and thyroid). Also i did not mention I have lost 4Ibs in 2 weeks.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Nausea, dizziness, fatigue, palpitation with occasional missed beats can be due to Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). These are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart.

These premature discharges can be caused by heart attacks, electrolyte imbalances, lack of oxygen, or medications. Immediately after a premature ventricular contraction, the electrical system of the heart resets. This resetting causes a brief pause in heartbeat which is detected by you as abnormal beat.

PVCs can occur in young healthy individuals without any heart disease or high blood pressure. These may sometimes go undetected on ECG. Slight right axis deviation of heart is due to mild hypertrophy of right ventricle usually. It is usually harmless if there are no associated cardiac defects.

To find out the cause, you need to have holter monitoring, Echo cardiography, exercise cardiac stress test- treadmill test, Stress echo and nuclear imaging.

Some of the blood tests are also needed like serum electrolyte levels, thyroid levels, cardiac enzymes, etc.

You can get all these investigations done under the guidance of your cardiologist.

The blood reports that you have got are almost normal and do not indicate any major health problem.

Since you have had a considerable weight loss in last two weeks then other causes of your symptoms like anemia, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, a side effect of some medicines, etc. should be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Nausea, dizziness, fatigue, weight loss, axis deviation in ECG, abnormal blood report 6 hours later
Hi Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I have just found out that my ECG was fine and the cardiologist does not wish to do any follow up, and that my bloods are no cause for alarm.
I was tested for anemia and thyroid and they came back ok.
Im stuck as to what other problem it could be, is there any other causes that coinicde with my symptoms

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

It is good that all major organ disorders have been ruled out.

The other possible cause can be a recent systemic infection or a generalized viral illness. This is likely to subside in 2-3 weeks with good nutrition, vitamin C supplements, moderate exercise and good hydration.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.