Nausea & dizziness. Had recent naval piercing. Is something wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I'm eighteen years old and recently had my navel pierced just three days ago and ever since I left the tattoo parlor I have felt nauseas and dizzy. I have heard about getting sick right after the piercing is finished but I developed these feelings an hour or so after the piercing and they still have not gone away. My piercing is not red or painful and I get anxiety when I clean it to the point where I almost pass out. This situation is just starting to make me wonder if something is wrong or if my body just needs to get used to it. This is my first piercing ever and I would love to hear your opinion! Thanks.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Feeling dizzy after a navel piercing is likely to be related to stress and anxiety. It is not suggestive of any pathology. You need some time to get used to it.
1) When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

3) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.
In case the dizziness is persistent, you need to get yourself evaluated by your physician to find out the organic cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.