Nausea, bloated stomach, headache, tiredness, tightness in chest. What do the symptoms indicate?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have the following symptoms:
upset and bloated stomach, especially after eating
tightening across chest (vertical from throat down)
occasional hot sweats
extreme tiredness ie get up for half an hour and then need to go back and sleep again
I also get an occasional sharp pain in my jaw (in differing places but my teeth are all healthy as went to the dentist last week)
Can you advise?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
This sounds to me like stomach issue which is very common at your age.This isnt something serious and usually is easily treatable. Any type of gastritis, GERD or hiatus hernia cause such difficulties. Reason for this is high secretion of acid which then irritates your stomach esophagus and bowels. It leads to heartburn, bloating, abdominal discomfort,nausea, breathing difficulties, tiredness and chest burning pain. These symtpoms are aggravated by food, especially some food. Sometimes acid is regurgitated (it comes back) into your throat and mouth during the sleep and then it causes toothache and throat pain.
I recommend 2 things. First is changing you dietaryand lifestyle habbits. Eat 5-6 times per day but slow and small meals. You should avoid alcohol, smoking,coffee,carbonated drinks fats,spicy and fast food and eat more milk products,boiled meat, sweet fruit,vegetables and nonsaturated fats. Also try not to lay down or sit for 1 hour after meal. Leaning forward also makes symptoms worse. Sleep with elevated upper body and do often exercise if you are overweight.
The second thing are medicines and diagnostic tests.There are many antiacid medicines which you should take after having gastroscopy. This procedure will find the exact cause and see is there any sign of hiatus hernia and Helicobacter pylori. So if these home remedies wont be helpful, consult your gastroenterologis about performing gastroscopy which might be unpleasant,but it is necessary.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help