Nausea, belching, gas after waking up in the morning. Why is this happening?

When I go to bed at night I feel fine. When I wake up in the morning I'm nauseous, have gas & belch a lot. After getting up & moving around I start to feel better.

Why is this happening?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 43 hours later

The symptoms seems to be related to stomach issue. We find these kind of complains from people suffering from the following one or more of the following issues:
1) Peptic Ulcer Disease
2) Acute Gastritis or Duodenitis

It is also important to check your blood pressure while lying and immediately after getting up. Hemoglobin, Blood sugar needs a recheck.

Too much of gap between the last night meal and early morning fillers could lead to this. Do not take garlic capsule on empty stomach place it post lunch. Skipping meal or delayed meal is also related to this.

You can try Tab PRILOSEC OTC or any generic Omeprazole 40mg for two weeks before your breakfast. Let me know the result.
Follow-up: Nausea, belching, gas after waking up in the morning. Why is this happening? 4 hours later
Something else I forgot to mention & it happened again last night. I will occasionally have a feeling like I'm choking & have trouble swallowing. It woke me up last night. After belching a couple of times it goes away.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 37 minutes later
This is typical description of reflux oesophagitis. This may be standalone or may accompany along with the previous two possibilities that I mentioned. This can make it difficult to swallow. The longer the duration of these symptoms the greater trouble while swallowing. At this point in time it is prudent to get a Upper GI Endoscopy done.

It helps in understanding the changes in the food pipe. The course of action can be planned.

Thank you.