Nausea and tender breasts. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still?

Hi I'm a 45 year old woman who has had one baby and one early miscarriage that I know of. I am feeling pregnant with a hightened sense of smell, nausea, and tender breasts however I have done a test after 3 weeks after the conception date and it was negative. Could I be pregnant still? What else might it be??
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help! Detailed Answer: If the last time that you had unprotected intercourse was 3 weeks ago, and the pregnancy test is negative, then I do not think that you are pregnant. On the other hand, if you are wrong about exactly when you ovulated, then it is still possible that you are pregnant and the test has not yet turned positive. Given your age of 45, there is a greater chance of irregularity with regard to your cycle. If you are late for your period, which is common, this is related to delayed or absent ovulation. In this regard, cycle related symptoms such as nausea and breast tenderness might also be confusing with regard to the potential for pregnancy. I would recommend that you check a pregnancy test again in a week. If it remains negative, and if your period is significantly late, then you should talk to your doctor about progesterone to induce a period. I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Nausea and tender breasts. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still? 4 minutes later
Can I ask if I'm not pregnant what might be the cause of the nausea, tenderness and heightened sense of smell
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will try to help... Detailed Answer: Your question is extremely common: the patient with a delayed period, symptoms of pregnancy, and negative tests. So the symptoms are usually not related to pregnancy. The presumption, based on the fact that they are new symptoms, is that they are related to your cycle. During the second half of your cycle, progesterone is the predominant hormone. Women have symptoms during this half of the cycle that are varied, but follow familiar patterns if you ask them about them. Breast tenderness is very common. A heightened sense of smell is less common, but not unusual and I have had many patients experience this during the latter part of their cycle as well. Finally, nausea - while this is not typical of cycle related symptoms, it can certainly be associated with elevated levels of progesterone. The only other thought is this: In any woman experiencing irregularity in her cycle, tests of thyroid function should be checked. Thyroid disorders can also present with symptoms such as you are describing, and usually manifesting primarily as extreme irregularity in your cycle. It is also remarkably more common among women.