Nasal septum covered in black rocky crust. I am a cocaine addict. Scared

My nasal septum is covered in a very hard black and dark brown rocky crust. I am sadly a cocaine addict and am very scared. I cannot quit
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
Several people who used cocaine had the same thing happen to them after snorting for long periods. Snorting causes nasal cavity and nasal septum damage and this lead to recurrent infections of nose and crusting. Most of the cases in initial days were able to heal and had no long term effects. You should remember that after long term use they causes permanent irreversible nasal cavity membrane and septum damage. Ultimate treatment is plastic surgery which can be very painful physically and financially.
For this nasal crust you only need repeated nasal washing with normal saline and an antibiotics for that you should visit a ENT surgeon for proper opinion.
You should visit a psychiatrist or a DE addiction or methadone center earliest and have to admit there for 4-6 weeks to make you free from cocaine addiction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly