Nasal discharge, sneezing, headache, fever and irritation in nose and eyes. Advice?

ENT Specialist
Running nose, continuous sneeze often at least 6 to 10 at a time, heavy headache i feel like some big stone has placed on my head. Had mild fever yesterday, Irritation of nose and eyes.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Seems to be a cold and sinusitis. Sneezing, irritation of the nose and eyes leads to the possibility of an allergic or viral infection.

2. You need to get an nose and throat examination. Rule out Sinusitis with an X-ray. A throat swab may be advised by your doctor.

3. You need to discuss with your physician regarding antibiotics. Antibiotics also prevent secondary bacterial infection in viral upper respiratory tract infections. You will require additional supportive medication such as anti-allergics, mucolytics, pain-killers and anti-fever / inflammatory medication, medicated gargles, anti-reflux medication and steam inhalation. Routine blood test may be advised.

4. If nasal obstruction is causing your breathlessness, consider a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) after this acute infection subsides.

5. Balloon Sinuplasty is a new option for long term relief available now.

6. You may share your investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.