Nasal congestion, difficulty breathing. On xylomist and winolap tablets, no relief. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
My wife's Nose is blocked for almost 4 weeks.
She was medicated with Xylomist and winolap tablets 2 weeks back, however there is no improvement in the condition.
Due to this she is unable to breath properly. Please help.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If Xylomist Nasal drops are used continuously for four weeks, there is a severe rebound phenomenon and addiction leading to a condition known as Rhinitis Medicamentosa.

2. Is this the first time that she has developed this nasal obstruction? Does she have any other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, fever or headache? Does she have loss of smell? Does she have any cough? Is there any chance of pregnancy? Have you shifted your place of residence recently?

3. You will have to discontinue the Xylomist nasal drops. Instead of Winolap (olopatadine), she should be on a combination of an anti-allergic such as Levocetrizine or Rupatidine or Fexofenadine with an antileukotriene such as Montelukast. She will require a mucolytic. Regular steam inhalation and saline nasal washes will help clear the nose. You should get these medications started under medical supervision.

4. If she gets no relief at all, she needs an endoscopic nasal examination by a local ENT Specialist to rule out any local cause for nasal obstruction such as nasal polyps, DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), hypertrophied nasal turbinates, sinusitis, rarely hypertrophied adenoid remnants and so on.

Hope I have answered your query. Awaiting your reply. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.