Mycobacteria detected in blood test. Prescribed R-cinex. Can conception take place and side effects?

May 2013
I am 30 year Old female, in my Mensutration Blood test Non Tuberclosis Mycobacteria is detected.
My Doctor Suggested me to take R-Cinex E for nine months. now its been 2 months, I am taking this medicine.What is the Side effect of this medicine as i am gaining weight.Also Can i Conceive during this treatment. XXXXXXX New Delhi
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

RCINEX-E contains rifampicin 450 mg, isoniazid 300 mg, and ethambutol hydrochloride 800 mg.

The common side effects with this drug are,
Hepatotoxicity, rash, redness of eyes, nausea, arthralgia etc,

But weight gain is not reported as a side effect according to many studies.
it may be because of other factors like change in life style etc.

As these drugs are toxic better to avoid pregnancy during this period.

Using contraceptive pills is not beneficial while on treatment with rifampicin because they interact, better to choose some other method of contraception.

In case pregnancy occurs accidentally no need to abort, as there may not be much harm to the fetus according to reports,
but risk cannot be totally eliminated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.