My wife's (64 years old) left arm muscle swollen between

General Surgeon
Question
My wife's (64 years old) left arm muscle swollen between elbow and shoulder and plus hot and sore. Picture someone “making a muscle” when they bend their arm but in this case the muscle on the opposite side constantly bulges, is swollen, reddish, hot and sore.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..

Please note..

1. This looks like there is muscle inflammation..

2. Usually happens when you exercise or use more of that limb for strenuous activities..

3. We can wait.. It should subside on its own in few days time..

4. Please start on NSAID group of drugs and your pain and inflammation should subside.

5. Limb rest is advisable..

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Take care..

Follow-up: My wife's (64 years old) left arm muscle swollen between 25 hours later
Thank you sooo much for your quick attention to this. You may need a little more info so we can better know which direction to go toward a remedy. There has been no strenuous activity or falling, the swelling started without an event around 3 weeks ago and we've been waiting for it to go back to normal on it's own and aspirins. The swelling of Lucy's hand, arm above and below the elbow increases and decreases independently of each other. Some days she can't close her hand enough to grab a tissue. Above her elbow to the shoulder is consistently swollen and the most consistently normal-looking segment is from her elbow to her wrist; although it also sometimes swells. XXXXXXX can't lift her arm above the arm rest. She can't walk to the bathroom anymore so two weeks ago, I purchased a powered lift recliner for her to get up and turn to sit on the portable toilet. She's been gradually getting weaker for about 3 months with not enough energy to do much more than eat food I bring to her.

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need an Arterial Doppler scan

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back...

Please note...

1. Good that you elaborate on the seriousness of this condition.

2. It is always better to get an Arterial Doppler scan to see if the vessels of that limb are normal.

3. Some kind of obstruction can cause such issues. Hence we can go ahead with Doppler.

4. Management will be based on the result...

Hope this helps...

Follow-up: My wife's (64 years old) left arm muscle swollen between 1 hour later
Thank you again. That was really helpful. Just one more symptom. The past 4 days XXXXXXX has been running a 100.0 to 100.6 degree temperature. I thought her fever started only yesterday but XXXXXXX said she's been checking her temp for the past 4 days. My fault for not linking the fever to the other symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.. If there is thrombosis, fever is expected

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..
Please note..

1. Yes. Fever is expected when there is thrombosis.
Which will be identified with Doppler scan.

2. Sometimes fever may be totally due to other causes..
Please get scan and we can plan the management.

Hope this helps you.
Or, you can close the question and rate.