My wife has been complaining of severe pain in her

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My wife has been complaining of severe pain in her right knee,especially when getting up from the floor or from a low level.
She had a very low vitamin d level in the test.please suggest the line of action,till about 3 months back she was running and excersing regularly.
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammatory arthritis like SLE

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually low Vitamin D levels can cause severe bone pain residual on the weight bearing joints like the knee joint.

Your wife also has high quantity of Antunuclear antibioties. This could indicate possible inflammatory arthritis like SLE.

It would be better to get an Xray of the knee joint arms also get tested for Anti-smith antibody in the blood. Also do Blood urea and Serum creatinine tests to look for any kidney affection.

It would be better for her to take Vitamin D supplements like Tablet Sunbless 60k once a week for 6 weeks. Also daily Shelcal CT Tablet for 2 months and get retested for Vitamin D at the end of 2 months. She needs good sunlight exposure and diet rich in Calcium and Vitamin D.

She can take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days after meals and Tablet Rabeprazole twice a day for 5 days before meals for the pain.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu