Ask a Urologist   »  

My wife complained of pains in her abdomen, lower back,

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
My wife complained of pains in her abdomen, lower back, fatigue; bloody urine, and swelling in her ankles and fingers to her doctor. my wife a lso has discharge.

Her doctor today did a physical examination, which was meant to be a fifteen min appointment but turned out to be an hour and a half long. During this time, the doctor asked if she had a family history of bowel or cancer of the cervix multiple times.

my wife passed four urine tests; one showed an abnormal level or cell count.

the doctor felt her stomach, and said there is a strange mass in her stomach reigion, above her cervix

how bad is this? she was orderd to do three days of urine tests and 3 x rays

does this indicate anything s strange? i am so worried
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult qualified Urologist and get investigated .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query .As a Urologist I can understand your concern

Based on the facts that you have posted pain in abdomen ,blood in urine and fatigue that your wife has could be due to either of the following few pathology.
1) Stone in Kidney
2) Mass (Tumor in kidney )
3) Infection .(UTI)

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) She may need to get Plain and Contrast C.T Scan of Urinary system depending upon the findings of Ultrasound Scanning .
4) Endoscopic Examination of Bladder (Cystoscopy)

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: My wife complained of pains in her abdomen, lower back, 13 minutes later
shs had four urine tests in the doctors office. one tested abnormal cell count. the uti was ruled out completely. she has a mass above her cervix. doctor felt her and there were no kidney stones whatsoever

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Office test of urine can not be conclusive and informative .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and C.T Scan are the most reliable tests to establish diagnosis .

Detection of mass above cervix or near stomach is a clinical finding which needs to be supported and confirmed by these investigations so as to confirm the diagnosis and plan further modality of treatment .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: My wife complained of pains in her abdomen, lower back, 7 hours later
thanks. i was informed all urine tests taken had abnormal cell counts

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Investigating thoroughly as suggested is only way to establish diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Findings of abnormal cells in urine is not the only criteria to conclude the pathology or to diagnose it .

You need to get the thorough and detail investigations to arrive at a definite conclusion to proceed with further treatment .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: My wife complained of pains in her abdomen, lower back, 9 minutes later
then what could it be?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
It is difficult to guess without examining the patient in person

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It is very difficult for any consultant to make a diagnosis without examining the patient in person and only based on urine report.

You need to do tests suggested in my earlier reply .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.