Ask a Urologist   »  

My urine really stinks. Why would this happen?

My urine really stinks. What could this be/
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 minutes later

Most common cause for urine to stink is because of urethra, bladder or in the kidneys itself. It is especially more common in women who are sexually active. It is easily treatable with certain antibiotics like cephalosporin. Please follow the following steps for a speedy recovery

Drink plenty of water. Cranberry juice is known to reduce pain (if any) while passing urine and help in infections of the bladder

Passing urine after sexual intercourse helps to wash away any bacteria.

Send for a urine routine and culture before starting antibiotics. If urine routine is normal then and ultra sound abdomen and pelvis scan.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you a speedy recovery.